Header tag

Tuesday 28 March 2023

Non-zero Traffic

Barely a month ago, I wrote about a challenge I was having tracking the traffic on this blog.  I had identified that I wasn't seeing any visitors on mobile phones.  Not one.

I'd taken some steps to fix this, and I had been able to track me using my own phone, but only from organic search.  I was still not tracking actual traffic.

Then I found an article that explains how to connect Blogger to Google Analytics 4 (and this has become justification for me to move to GA4).  

All I had to do was to enter my GA4 ID number into the Blogger setting for tracking... and that was it.  It took me weeks to track down the solution, but since then, I've been tracking mobile traffic:

At the time of writing, I've had the fix live for three weeks, and this is how it's looking compared to the three weeks prior to the fix.

I've carried out a number of checks to make sure the data is valid: 

are the mobile and desktop numbers different (or am I double-counting users?)?

are the desktop numbers even numbers (another indication of double counting)?

are the mobile numbers cannibalising the desktop numbers, or are they additional (and thankfully they look good).

In all cases, the data look good, showing clear and distinct differences between the mobile and desktop traffic, but I'm still glad I was able to validate the data accuracy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment