Header tag

Thursday 20 June 2019

Transformers Trading Card Game: Data Analysis

After my previous post, where I started playing the Transformers Trading Card Game, I started looking at the types of battle cards and doing some back-of-the-envelope data analysis.  I don't expect to find any trends, but I wanted to take a look at how the battle cards break down by type (colour, and action vs upgrade, and type of upgrade).

In my previous post, I carried out some quick high-level analysis: how many of each type of card are there?


I was surprised to see that more than half of the cards are in the Action group, while less than one in eight is Armour.  It certainly made me pay more attention to the cards I was choosing for my deck, and to consider the types of cards I was using (and not just if they would be fun to play - in theory).


Let's break them down further - what colour icons do the cards have?  White; blue; orange or green?

I know tables aren't to everybody's liking, but here's a quick, simple table that breaks down the card colours and types:



Some thoughts (from a data perspective)


- There's an approximately equal quantity of pure blue cards and pure orange cards (46 and 48); twice as many as pure white (24).  
-  White is only combined with green, not with blue or orange.  That makes sense from a game-play perspective; when attacking or defending, it would be too much to get the benefit of an orange (or a blue) and then also draw two extra cards to further add to your total.
- There are three cards which are blue/orange (an interesting and useful combination in the game); these are Recon System (which is a star card); Matrix of Leadership (can be used only on Autobots) and Roll Out!


Now, these are all great cards since they provide both defence and offence boosts.

- It is possible, but not necessarily desired, to play all white; all blue; all orange; or all blank (no icons) - any row that sums to 14 or more will produce a complete deck of that type.  There has been a lot of play with all-blue (or mostly blue) 'defensive' decks, and all or mostly orange "aggressive" or "aggro" decks.  My personal preference is towards a mixed deck with a lot of white, but I'm still working on it (I'm looking to play Mirage; Hound and Jazz, and other 'white-friendly' teams).

Wave 3 of the Transformers TCG is coming up in less than two weeks, so I'll probably be doing further analysis on how the overall card profile changes.  I'm personally looking to get the new Red Alert (with his liking for mixed decks) and Private Stakeout (who likes white), and to play them with Hound and Jazz; or Mirage/Bumblebee BW/Jazz/Private Stakeout.  We'll see!




No comments:

Post a Comment